Donna Summer - I Feel Love (1977) + cover versions & remixes

May 1977: LaDonna Andrea Gaines, a.k.a. Donna Summer, released her album I Remember Yesterday, produced by Giorgio Moroder. The album contained tracks which should represent several decades of the 20th century: 'I Remember Yesterday' represented the 1940s, 'Love's Unkind' the 50s and 'Back in Love Again' the 60s. The album concluded with the then futuristic 'I Feel Love'.
As with Donna's four previous albums, different record labels distributed her work in different nations. Some of the labels chose to release the ballad 'Can't We Just Sit Down (And Talk It Over)' as the first single, with 'I Feel Love' as the B-side, but the impact of the song was so huge that it was soon released internationally as a standalone A-side.
Previous disco tracks had usually been backed by an acoustic orchestra, while 'I Feel Love' was the first ever track to use an entirely synthesized backing track, which would later help develop the music genres Dance and Techno. The repetitive vocals over the backing track helped make the song a massive hit. It finally gave Donna the follow-up 'Love to Love You Baby'.
'I Feel Love' put Donna Summer firmly in her place as the leading female artist of Disco.
The track is so genius that it has been covered endless times, from likely artists such as Blondie, Jimmy Somerville & Marc Almond and Madonna to such unlikely groups as he Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Finnish Psychadelic Rock band Kingston Wall.
Blatant samples of the basic bass track were used by Cher ('All Or Nothing' in 1998) and Moloko ('Sing It Back' in 1999).
Last Year, Gucci ran a TV advertising campaign video, directed by Chris Cunningham, for their scent Flora, which used the song in a trace version.

Donna Summer - I Feel Love (1977)
UK#1, AT#1, NL#1, CH#2, NZ#2, DE#3, SWE#5, US#6, NOR#8, FR#33,





Blondie - I Feel Love (1979)



Bronski Beat & Marc Almond - I Feel Love/Johnny Remember Me (1985)



Donna Summer - I Feel Love (Rollo Remix) (1995)







Red Hot Chilli Peppers - I Feel Love (live album 2004)



Madonna - I Feel Love (live 2006)



Donna Summer - I Feel Love (Gucci 'Flora' Advertising Campaign) (2010)
video directed by Chris Cunningham

No comments:

Post a Comment